Gain a deeper understanding of international business in Singapore. The program focuses on global business in the Asia Pacific region through company presentations, tours, cultural activities, and a course led by a local faculty member, Dr. Chin Heng Low from Singapore Management University. This program is open to all Tippie students, but it is ideal for students coming out of their first or second year who need to complete their International Global Issues gen ed and Tippie RISE.
- 13 days in Singapore
- Experience a dynamic, global class with a local professor
- Learn from business executives through company presentations and visits
- Business students earn credit toward International Global Issues gen ed
- Fulfill a portion of the International Business Certificate
- Enjoy a cultural excursion day
- Network with business students from other universities
- Scholarships available
The May 2024 program application is closed.
Depart the U.S.: May 11, 2024
Program Dates: May 12-25, 2024
Introduction to Global Business: Singapore
This course aims to provide students with a thorough understanding and firsthand look at ASEAN through the lenses of business and leadership. This will be done from the very heart of the ASEAN region – Singapore.
Commonly referred to in the past as the "Balkans of Asia," many expected ASEAN to fail and be conflict ridden. However, peace prevailed and continues until today. It is in this context that students will get to learn about the region's highly diverse makeup of languages, cultures, and norms. Students will be introduced to the business and leadership challenges that organizations face when working in this part of the world. However, students will also learn how Singapore and the neighboring regions present the world with exciting opportunities for the business, educational, and cultural sectors, and is well positioned to meaningfully impact the global economy and geopolitics in the foreseeable future.
- International Global Issues Gen Ed for Tippie students and Tippie RISE
- International Business Certificate: To be determined
What's included in the program fee:
- 3 semester hours of tuition
- Company speakers and visits
- Shared accommodations including Wi-Fi
- Daily breakfast
- Lunches on class days
- Welcome dinner
- Cultural day trip
- Free time to explore the city
- Ground transportation to and from the airport
- Ground transportation to all course events
- 24/7 staff support from Tippie staff member and Global Academic Ventures
- UI study abroad administrative fees
- Mandatory Iowa Regents CISI insurance
What's not included in the program fee:
- Round-trip airfare: Approximately $1900-2200
- Meals not listed in the program fee: Approximately $300
- Personal expenses: Varies
- Application fee charged to U-Bill at time of application: $50
- Passport (if needed): $165
Purchasing airline tickets
Students are advised NOT to purchase tickets until the program's status is confirmed. In late February, students will be informed about whether there is sufficient interest to offer the trip. Information about purchasing tickets will be shared at that time.
To have the best possible experience, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- GPA: 2.75 UI and cumulative
- Minimum 30 s.h. completed prior to program
- Academic prerequisites: ECON:1100 or approval of program director
- A valid passport
If you have questions regarding eligibility requirements, contact the program director prior to submitting an application.