Spring 2023 MBA commencement ceremony
Saturday, May 20, 2023
This traditional, in-person ceremony will be held at Hancher Auditorium, which is located on the University of Iowa campus.
Individuals with a Fall 2022, Spring 2023, and Summer 2023 degree application on file and appropriately submitted RSVP confirmation may participate in this ceremony. (Note: In addition to the RSVP, Summer 2023 candidates must complete their degree application by the deadline provided below in order to participate.)
If your degree application semester is not noted above and/or you have questions regarding your commencement ceremony participation eligibility, please contact Raven McMurrin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In accordance with the university and our commitment to mitigating the risk to public health regarding the COVID-19 situation, please note that we are continually monitoring the appropriateness of holding a traditional, in-person commencement ceremony. As the event date approaches, any updates and/or changes to the current plan will be communicated as soon as possible.
How to RSVP for the commencement ceremony
The Spring 2023 Iowa MBA Commencement Ceremony RSVP deadline is 11:59 p.m. CT on Sunday, April 9, 2023.
The RSVP process is an Opt-In system. Only students who RSVP “Attending” by the deadline and attend the ceremony will have their names read as well as displayed during the ceremony broadcast.
RSVP process for Fall 2022 graduates, Spring 2023 degree applicants and Summer 2023 degree applicants
- On the MyUI homepage, select the “Degrees/Graduation” tile in “Student Information” section.
- Under the “Graduation” section, select the “Commencement Attendance” link.
- Click on “RSVP” next to the Iowa MBA Commencement Ceremony and follow the prompts.
- You will need to confirm your name and participation intention.
- If you RSVP “Yes," you will have the option to upload a photo to be used on your individual recognition slide.
- Slides are for personal use and are not used at the in-person ceremonies.
- You can add or edit your commencement slide photo until the noted deadline.
- Your finalized individual recognition slide will be available for download approximately two weeks prior to the ceremony.
- Be sure to finish the RSVP in one sitting and save your responses!
- You will receive a confirmation email to your uiowa.edu account once your RSVP has been finalized.
Shortly after completing the RSVP process, you should receive a communication regarding a request for participants to provide a guest count. This ensures that the outlined building capacity guidelines at Hancher Auditorium are maintained. Please note that only a guest count number is needed as tickets are not needed and seats are not assigned.
If your degree application semester is not noted above and/or you have questions regarding the RSVP process, please contact Raven McMurrin (email@example.com).
As a reminder, those with an eligible degree application on file along with a submitted RSVP confirmation by the appropriate deadlines may participate in this ceremony. If you have not yet completed the degree application process, please see the subsequent section below.
Apply for your degree
For degree completion and conferral to be recognized, you must apply to graduate by completing a degree application via MyUI. Additional steps on how to do so are provided below.
Regarding the timing of this crucial process, reference the “Important dates and degree application deadlines” chart.
Please note that the degree application must be completed by 11:59 p.m. CT on the corresponding published date.
Conferral of the degree is based upon when you complete your degree requirements. Conferral dates are noted in the chart below as well.
Executive MBA students do not complete this process as the administration for that program does so on their behalf.
Important dates and degree application deadlines
|Degree requirements completion term||degree conferral date||degree application deadline|
|Fall 2022||December 2022||September 30, 2022|
|Winter GLO (January travel) 2022||May 2023||February 24, 2023|
|Winter 2022||May 2023||February 24, 2023|
|Spring 2023||May 2023||February 24, 2023|
|Spring GLO (May travel) 2023||May 2023||February 24, 2023|
|Summer 2023||August 2023||
February 24, 2023
June 9, 2023
Specific steps, depending upon your course completion date and programs-of-study, are provided below.
Students completing MBA graduation requirements
- Log into MyUI and click on "Student Information" in the top menu
- In the right column under "Student Life Management", click on "Degree Application"
- Follow the steps to complete the application
- Degree applications are available for the current semester and one future semester.
- Please note the University Office of the Registrar will assess a $20 late application fee if the application is received after stated deadlines. The Office of Registrar will also require a new application if you do not graduate (complete the degree requirements) in the semester in which you apply. Any applicable late fees will be assessed for the new application.
Students completing a combined MBA degree and certificate
- If you are also admitted to a professional certificate program (analytics, leadership, marketing, finance, innovation) and will be completing the certificate in the same semester as the MBA, be sure to apply for both your MBA and certificate award in MyUI.
- Please note that you must have the certificate program of study on your record before you can apply to have the certificate awarded. If you are working toward a Leadership, Marketing, Finance or Innovation certificate, you can notify your academic advisor of your intention so the certificate can be added to your record.
- If you wish to have the certificate awarded but will not have completed the MBA requirements to graduate in the same semester, please complete the online Certificate Completion Form (link emailed to all current students each semester, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions) to request for the certificate to be awarded.
- The policies and requirements for being admitted and awarded the Business Analytics certificate are different from those of the professional certificates. A current MBA student can request to have the Business Analytics Certificate added as a program of study by contacting their academic advisor. This should be done as soon as possible. To receive a Business Analytics certificate, you must request for the certificate to be awarded in the semester that the fifth certificate course is being taken. You may not apply to this certificate retroactively (after all certificate courses are completed). If you are completing the fifth certificate course in the same semester you are completing MBA requirements, you can apply for both your MBA and Business Analytics certificate award in MyUI. If you are completing the fifth certificate course prior to finishing the MBA, please complete the online Certificate Completion Form (link emailed to all current students each semester, contact email@example.com with questions) to request for the certificate to be awarded.
If you have questions as to whether you have met the requirements to graduate, please reach out to your academic advisor for assistance. For questions regarding the graduation application process, please contact Tippie Graduate Academics (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Arrival & check-in
Please arrive for the ceremony with appropriate regalia in hand by 9:00 a.m.
Upon entering Hancher Auditorium, follow the signage to the graduate check-in area. When checking in, graduates will be asked to verify the phonetic spelling of their name and given a card with that verified spelling. This card is to be given to the name reader prior to walking across the stage during the ceremony. If graduating with academic honors, honors distinction cords will be distributed at this time as well.
After checking in, graduates may proceed to the graduate staging area to find their position in the processional order. To ensure a timely start to the ceremony, graduates should be in their processional position no later than 15 minutes prior to the start time of the ceremony.
If a graduate needs any special accommodations, please contact Raven McMurrin at email@example.com for assistance with making the appropriate arrangements.
Hancher Auditorium offers the opportunity for open seating but attending the Iowa MBA Commencement Ceremony does require reservations. As a result, during the RSVP process, graduates are expected to provide a count of how many guests they plan to have in attendance at the event. Ultimately, this allows for the outlined building capacity guidelines to be maintained.
No backpacks or large bags are allowed inside of Hancher Auditorium. We reserve the right to inspect items brought into the building.
If graduates have a guest(s) planning to attend who needs special accommodations, please contact Raven McMurrin at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with making the appropriate arrangements.
The program will begin with a processional of the graduates led by the platform committee. Once everyone is seated, the ceremony will begin with a welcome from Dean Jennifer Blackhurst, followed by the commencement address, conferral of degrees, presenting of graduates, and ending with closing remarks.
For the presenting of graduates, participants will be invited to the stage front to be recognized individually. After handing their name card (received at check-in) to the name reader at the podium, graduates will walk briskly to center stage to shake hands with a university official and Dean Amy Kristof-Brown. Graduates will then continue across the stage to shake hands and receive their diploma cover from Dean Blackhurst. After receiving their diploma cover, graduates will continue off stage to have their professional picture taken before returning to their seat on stage.
Following the closing remarks, graduates will be asked to stand, and the platform committee will then lead the recessional out of the ceremony auditorium and back to the graduate staging area.
Commencement apparel (regalia)
For graduates attending the commencement ceremony, the appropriate regalia listed below is required to be worn:
- University of Iowa Masters Gown
- Graduation Mortar Board Cap
- MBA Hood
- MBA Tassel
**NOTE: Executive MBA graduates do NOT need to purchase regalia. Your program administrator will distribute your apparel.
To purchase the items listed above, complete the following steps:
- Go to www.hawkshop.com
- Click on the dropdown menu at the top left of the homepage and select “Graduation” from the drop down menu list
- Select the regalia items listed above and add them to your cart. Please note:
- Caps have elastic backs and fit most people.
- You will need to know your height and weight when ordering a gown.
- Once the desired items are in your cart, select "Checkout" after clicking on the bag icon in upper left of the page
- Follow necessary prompts to complete the transaction.
Please place your order in a timely manner so that the needed items are in your possession prior to the commencement ceremony.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Hawk Shop at (319) 335-3179.
Commencement dress (graduates)
As noted above, graduates are required to wear the appropriate regalia during the commencement ceremony.
If time permits, masters gowns should be pressed with a cool iron or allowed to hang in order to remove wrinkles. Flowers or other adornments may not be attached to gowns. Caps are to be worn with the mortarboard horizontal and the tassel on the left. Caps should be worn from the start of the processional until exiting ceremony auditorium.
When wearing your masters gown, please note that your outfit may be visible from above the neckline and/or below the hemline of the gown depending on the size and fit. We recommend that students consider wearing a collared dress shirt and tie, collared blouse, or shallow scoop neck top with khakis, dark-colored dress pants, or a skirt. A dress with a similar neckline and a hemline shorter than the master's gown is an option as well. Dress footwear should be comfortable as there will be a good amount of walking and standing throughout the event. Ultimately, we encourage students to try on their graduation day outfit with their gown (sitting and standing) to make sure they are comfortable with their outfit selection.
Besides the name card, nothing should be taken on stage by graduates during the ceremony. Graduates are encouraged to leave any personal items including jackets and purses with their guest(s) prior to checking in as the graduate staging area will not be secured during the ceremony.
University of Iowa graduates with no outstanding University charges receive one 8.5" x 11" diploma per degree earned.
Diplomas are mailed by the Office of the Registrar using the respective Diploma Mailing Address of each graduate. If a Diploma Mailing Address is not listed for a student, the diploma is mailed to the Residing Address listed in MyUI. This mailing process begins once final grades for the degree are processed.
Students can expect to recieve their diploma approximately eight weeks after their graduating session.
A certified electronic and/or print version of certificate awards are available for purchase.
Please wait to order certificates until after degrees have been conferred and after receiving a conferral email from Graduation Services.
For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar Diplomas page.
University ceremonial program
The University of Iowa Commencement Program is available in PDF format on the Commencement Programs page.
This program includes a listing of degree candidates from each college, sorted by degree type.
Fall and summer degree candidates are listed in the fall program for their graduating session, while spring degree candidates are listed in the spring program for their graduating session.
Publishing names of degree candidates in the program booklet is not a verification of completion of degree requirements. Inclusion in the commencement program is not tied to participation in a ceremony. All graduates are listed in the program according to the time at which they earned or are expected to earn a degree. Applying for a degree after the degree application deadline may result in exclusion of the student name from the commencement program.
If you have additional questions about the commencement program please contact: UIemail@example.com
Through Herff Jones, a variety of personalized graduation products are available for purchase. These items include graduation announcements, college rings, and diploma frames.
Orders may be placed online or by phone at (800) 837-4235. Please order accordingly as delivery time is approximately two weeks.