Spring 2023 MBA commencement ceremony
Saturday, May 20, 2023
This traditional, in-person ceremony will be held at Hancher Auditorium, which is located on the University of Iowa campus.
Individuals with a Fall 2022, Spring 2023, and Summer 2023 degree application on file and appropriately submitted RSVP confirmation may participate in this ceremony. (Note: In addition to the RSVP, Summer 2023 candidates must complete their degree application by the deadline provided below in order to participate.)
If you have questions and/or concerns regarding your commencement ceremony participation eligibility, please contact Raven McMurrin (email@example.com).
In accordance with the university and our commitment to mitigating the risk to public health regarding the COVID-19 situation, please note that we are continually monitoring the appropriateness of holding a traditional, in-person commencement ceremony. As the event date approaches, any updates and/or changes to the current plan will be communicated as soon as possible.
How to RSVP for the commencement ceremony
The Spring 2023 Iowa MBA Commencement Ceremony RSVP will open shortly after the start of the spring semester.
The RSVP process is an Opt-In system. Only students who RSVP “Attending” by the deadline will be recognized at the ceremony.
RSVP process for Fall 2022 graduates, Spring 2023 degree applicants and Summer 2023 degree applicants
- On the MyUI homepage, select the “Degrees/Graduation” tile in “Student Information” section.
- Under the “Graduation” section, select the “Commencement Attendance” link.
- Click on “RSVP” next to the Iowa MBA Commencement Ceremony and follow the prompts.
- You will need to confirm your name and participation intention.
- If you RSVP “Yes”, you will have the option to upload a photo to be used on your individual recognition slide.
- Slides are for personal use and are not used at the in-person ceremonies.
- You can add or edit your commencement slide photo until the noted deadline.
- Your finalized individual recognition slide will be available for download approximately two weeks prior to the ceremony.
- Be sure to finish the RSVP in one sitting and save your responses!
- You will receive a confirmation email to your uiowa.edu account once your RSVP has been finalized.
Apply for your degree
Iowa MBA students
For your degree completion and conferral to be recognized, you must apply to graduate via MyUI. Please reference the chart below for important dates and degree application deadlines.
The application must be completed by 11:59 p.m. on the published date.
Executive MBA students
You do not need to apply to graduate, as the Executive MBA Administration handles this process for you.
All MBA students
Your MBA degree will be conferred based upon when you complete your degree requirements. Please reference the chart below for those conferral dates.
Important dates and degree application deadlines
|Degree requirements completion term||degree conferral date||degree application deadline|
|Fall 2022||December 2022||September 30, 2022|
|Winter GLO (January travel) 2022||May 2023||February 24, 2023|
|Winter 2022||May 2023||February 24, 2023|
|Spring 2023||May 2023||February 24, 2023|
|Spring GLO (May travel) 2023||May 2023||February 24, 2023|
|Summer 2023||August 2023||
February 24, 2023 (May commencement participation)
June 9, 2023 (No May commencement participation)
Specific steps, depending upon your course completion date and programs-of-study, are provided below.
Students completing MBA graduation requirements
- Log into MyUI and click on "Student Information" in the top menu
- In the right column under "Student Life Management", click on "Degree Application"
- Follow the steps to complete the application
- Degree applications are available for the current semester and one future semester.
- Please note the University Office of the Registrar will assess a $20 late application fee if the application is received after stated deadlines. The Office of Registrar will also require a new application if you do not graduate (complete the degree requirements) in the semester in which you apply. Any applicable late fees will be assessed for the new application.
Students completing a combined MBA degree and certificate
- If you are also admitted to a professional certificate program (analytics, leadership, marketing, finance, innovation) and will be completing the certificate in the same semester as the MBA, be sure to apply for both your MBA and certificate award in MyUI.
- Please note that you must have the certificate program of study on your record before you can apply to have the certificate awarded. If you are working toward a Leadership, Marketing, Finance or Innovation certificate, you can notify your academic advisor of your intention so the certificate can be added to your record.
- If you wish to have the certificate awarded but will not have completed the MBA requirements to graduate in the same semester, please complete the online Certificate Completion Form (link emailed to all current students each semester, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions) to request for the certificate to be awarded.
- The policies and requirements for being admitted and awarded the Business Analytics certificate are different from those of the professional certificates. A current MBA student can request to have the Business Analytics Certificate added as a program of study by contacting their academic advisor. This should be done as soon as possible and no later than during the second certificate course. To receive a Business Analytics certificate, you must request for the certificate to be awarded in the semester that the fifth certificate course is being taken. You may not apply to this certificate retroactively (after all certificate courses are completed). If you are completing the fifth certificate course in the same semester you are completing MBA requirements, you can apply for both your MBA and Business Analytics certificate award in MyUI. If you are completing the fifth certificate course prior to finishing the MBA, please complete the online Certificate Completion Form (link emailed to all current students each semester, contact email@example.com with questions) to request for the certificate to be awarded.
If you have questions as to whether you have met the requirements to graduate, please reach out to your academic advisor for assistance. For questions regarding the graduation application process, please contact Kendra Belski (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Arrival & check-in
Please arrive for the ceremony with appropriate regalia in hand by 9:00 a.m.
Upon entering Hancher Auditorium, follow the signage to the graduate check-in area. When checking in, graduates will be asked to verify the phonetic spelling of their name and given a card with that verified spelling. This card is to be given to the name reader prior to walking across the stage during the ceremony. If graduating with academic honors, honors distinction cords will be distributed at this time as well.
After checking in, graduates may proceed to the graduate staging area to find their position in the processional order. To ensure a timely start to the ceremony, graduates should be in their processional position no later than 15 minutes prior to the start time of the ceremony.
If a graduate needs any special accommodations, please contact Raven McMurrin at email@example.com for assistance with making the appropriate arrangements.
Hancher Auditorium offers the opportunity for open seating but attending the Iowa MBA Commencement Ceremony does require reservations. As a result, during the RSVP process, graduates are expected to provide a count of how many guests they plan to have in attendance at the event. (Please note that with the inclusion of several additional graduate classes in this ceremony, a guest limit may be implemented.) Ultimately, this allows for the outlined building capacity guidelines to be maintained.
No backpacks or large bags are allowed inside of Hancher Auditorium. We reserve the right to inspect items brought into the building.
If graduates have a guest(s) planning to attend who needs special accommodations, please contact Raven McMurrin at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with making the appropriate arrangements.
The program will begin with a processional of the graduates led by the platform committee. Once everyone is seated, the ceremony will begin with a welcome from Dean Jennifer Blackhurst, followed by the commencement address, conferral of degrees, presenting of graduates, and ending with closing remarks.
For the presenting of graduates, participants will be invited to the stage front to be recognized individually. After handing their name card (received at check-in) to the name reader at the podium, graduates will walk briskly to center stage to shake hands with a university official and Dean Amy Kristof-Brown. Graduates will then continue across the stage to shake hands and receive their diploma cover from Dean Blackhurst. After receiving their diploma cover, graduates will continue off stage to have their professional picture taken before returning to their seat on stage.
Following the closing remarks, graduates will be asked to stand, and the platform committee will then lead the recessional out of the ceremony auditorium and back to the graduate staging area.
Commencement apparel (regalia)
For graduates attending the commencement ceremony, the appropriate regalia listed below is required to be worn:
- University of Iowa Masters Gown
- Graduation Mortar Board Cap
- MBA Hood
- MBA Tassel
**NOTE: Executive MBA graduates do NOT need to purchase regalia. Your program administrator will distribute your apparel.
To purchase the items listed above, complete the following steps:
- Go to www.hawkshop.com
- Click on the dropdown menu at the top left of the homepage and select “Graduation” from the drop down menu list
- Select the regalia items listed above and add them to your cart. Please note:
- Caps have elastic backs and fit most people.
- You will need to know your height and weight when ordering a gown.
- Once the desired items are in your cart, select "Checkout" after clicking on the bag icon in upper left of the page
- Follow necessary prompts to complete the transaction.
Due to the commitment to the safety of their employees and customers, be aware that shipping delays may occur as the Hawk Shop takes all necessary precautions to ship packages safely.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Hawk Shop at (319) 335-3179.
Commencement dress (graduates)
As noted above, graduates are required to wear the appropriate regalia during the commencement ceremony.
If time permits, masters gowns should be pressed with a cool iron or allowed to hang in order to remove wrinkles. Flowers or other adornments may not be attached to gowns. Caps are to be worn with the mortarboard horizontal and the tassel on the left. Caps should be worn from the start of the processional until exiting ceremony auditorium.
When wearing your masters gown, please note that your outfit may be visible from above the neckline and/or below the hemline of the gown depending on the size and fit. We recommend that students consider wearing a collared dress shirt and tie, collared blouse, or shallow scoop neck top with khakis, dark-colored dress pants, or a skirt. A dress with a similar neckline and a hemline shorter than the master's gown is an option as well. Dress footwear should be comfortable as there will be a good amount of walking and standing throughout the event. Ultimately, we encourage students to try on their graduation day outfit with their gown (sitting and standing) to make sure they are comfortable with their outfit selection.
Besides the name card, nothing should be taken on stage by graduates during the ceremony. Graduates are encouraged to leave any personal items including jackets and purses with their guest(s) prior to checking in as the graduate staging area will not be secured during the ceremony.
Diplomas will be sent out by the Office of the Registrar once final grades are processed. University of Iowa graduates with no outstanding University charges will receive one 8.5" x 11" diploma, per degree earned. Diplomas for new graduates will be sent to the students' Diploma Mailing Address approximately six weeks after graduation. If students do not list a Diploma Mailing Address, the diploma will be mailed to the Residing Address they list on MyUI at the end of their graduating session.
A full University of Iowa Commencement program, which lists all graduates from across the University will be available in PDF format on the Commencement Programs page.
The University of Iowa is committed to integrating sustainable practices into all University programs and activities while ensuring a memorable and positive experience at every event.
Personalized announcements can be specifically designed with the University of Iowa's school crest and personalized with your name, degree, major, time, date, and place of your ceremony. Orders may be placed online or by calling 800-837-4235. Please plan on a two-week delivery window and order accordingly.