Course offerings for December 2022-January 2023!
FIN:4020 Topics in Finance - Instructor: Bruce Kline
MGMT:3450 International Business Environment - Instructor: Erin Johnson
London Winter Course
Winter session participants may select one of the two courses offered in London.
- A finance elective is offered every winter. The prerequisite for the course is completion of FIN:3000.
- The second course is typically an elective offered by Business Analytics, Economics, Management, or Marketing.
- The London course is 3 s.h. and counts as Tippie resident credit and fulfills Tippie RISE: Study Abroad.
- The course may also fulfill an International Business requirement OR the Study Abroad category for the International Business Certificate.
Program Admission Criteria
- 2.75 UI and cumulative GPA AND
- For FIN:4020, completion of FIN:3000 (if you have not completed this course, contact Shari Piekarski at email@example.com before you consider applying)
- For MGMT:3450 (60 s.h.)
- In good academic and disciplinary standing with the University of Iowa
Available through the Study Abroad Office in early August.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, September 6.
Our London partner requires proof of vaccination for enrollment and attendance. The university recommends that travelers carry proof of vaccination when traveling abroad.
"I learned how valuable being experienced internationally was for my future in the business world. Study abroad put me outside of my comfort zone in the best way possible. Communication is key in international business. The world is becoming more and more globalized, and knowing how to communicate across culture successfully is the most important skill a businessperson can have. Study abroad in London really showed me that."
The program fee is typically in the range of $4,700 - $4,800, including a required study abroad administrative fee. Total program cost is approximately $7,000.
What is included in the program fee:
- 3 s.h. course
- Housing that includes a daily breakfast
- Half-day coach tour of London
- Tour of Tower of London
- Welcome afternoon tea
- Day trip to Bath, an historic city several hours west of London
- Night out at the theater
- Company visits or speakers
- Travel pass to explore central London
- On-site orientation and 24/7 support in London
- Study abroad administrative fee
What's not included in the program fee:
- Round-trip airfare (estimated to be $900 - $1,000)
- Meals ($750)
- Personal expenses ($500)
Purchasing airline tickets
Students are advised NOT to purchase tickets until the program's status is confirmed. In late September, students will be informed about whether there is sufficient interest to offer the trip. Directions about purchasing tickets will be shared at that time.
Scholarships are available. Students are encouraged to apply for scholarships from two different sources: The Tippie College Study Abroad Scholarship Program and Study Abroad scholarships.
Students are encouraged to complete scholarship applications at the same time they are applying to the program. Both the Tippie College and Study Abroad will work to notify students of scholarships that will be awarded prior to deadline for committing to the program.
"This study abroad experience taught me to have confidence in myself, maximize every moment, and showed me my ability to navigate a new side of the world. The most meaningful part of the study abroad trip was sharing it with Tippie students. My experiences on this trip were shaped by not only the experience itself but the people whom I shared it with. I am endlessly thankful for my classmates and friends that made the most of the experience and the encouragement of pushing me to try new things."
"As a first-generation student, I didn’t really know much about study abroad. After learning about the resources here and the affordability of study abroad through scholarships, I decided to take action. I was the first in my family to study abroad and I brought back more than just souvenirs... I brought back a new understanding of how large and complex the world is."
Note to international students
Depending on your country of origin, it may be necessary for you to apply for a Student Visitor Visa before you can enter the United Kingdom for the program. You can check on the U.K. Border Agency’s website to find out if you need to apply. If you need a visa to enter the United Kingdom, UI Study Abroad will supply you with documents to support your application.
To return to the United States after the class, you will need a valid form I-20 or DS-2019 endorsed for travel abroad and an F-1 or J-1 student visa that is valid through the date that you plan to return to the United States. You can obtain a travel signature from an advisor at International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS).