International Business in Sydney will run January 1, 2023 - January 12, 2023. The application is open!
Gain a deeper understanding of international business in Sydney, Australia. Focus on global business in the Asia Pacific region through company presentations, tours, cultural activities, and a course led by Dr. Nigel Bairstow of the University of Technology, Sydney.
- 11 days in Sydney, Australia over winter break (Australian summer)
- Experience a dynamic, global class with a local professor
- Learn from business executives through company presentations and visits
- Earn credit toward marketing major or international global issues gen ed
- Fulfill a portion of the International Business Certificate
- Enjoy a cultural excursion day and free days to explore Australia
- Network with business students from other universities
- Scholarships available
The application is now open! Apply here. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The program will be in Sydney on January 1, 2023 and run through January 12, 2023.
International Business in Asia Pacific
Gain a deeper understanding of international business in Asia Pacific and the management issues confronting small-medium enterprises (SMEs) and multi-national enterprises (MNEs) in the Asia Pacific Region. The course and company presentations provide practical guidance on how to develop and sustain a competitive advantage in the Asia Pacific Region. Learn about the rise of ASEAN, the challenges and opportunities for trade growth, and collaboration within this fast growing and dynamic region.
Each year, company briefings will change. Previous briefings have included companies like DHL Oceania, Google Australia, National Australia Bank, Foxtel, DCC Law Firm, Salesforce.com, Minomic, Commercial Attache at the U.S. Embassy in Australia, The American Chamber of Commerce in Australia, 3M Australia/New Zealand, Honeywell Australia and AT&T Australia.
Course credit satisfies Tippie RISE and also counts in the following ways:
- Pick one: International Marketing or International Global Issues (general education)
- Pick one: For the International Business Certificate: International Business Section or Study Abroad Section
What's included in the program fee:
- 3 semester hours of tuition
- Company speakers
- Shared accommodation including Wi-Fi
- Daily breakfast supplies at accommodation
- Lunches on class days
- Welcome dinner
- Cultural day trip and city tour
- Ground transportation to and from the airport
- Ground transportation to all course events
- 24/7 staff support from Global Academic Ventures
- UI study abroad administrative fee
- Mandatory Iowa Regents CISI insurance
What's not included in the program fee:
- Round-trip airfare ($1,500 - $2,500)
- Meals not listed in the program fee
- Personal expenses and travel
- $50 application fee charged to U-Bill at time of application
- Visa fee (~$20)
Purchasing airline tickets
Students are advised NOT to purchase tickets until the program's status is confirmed. In late September, students will be informed about whether there is sufficient interest to offer the trip. Directions about purchasing tickets will be shared at that time.
To have the best possible experience, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- GPA: 2.75 UI and cumulative
- Sophomore+ standing
- Minimum 30 s.h. completed prior to program
- Academic Prerequisites: MGMT:2100 or approval of program director
- Ability to obtain required visa
If you have questions regarding eligibility requirements, contact the program director prior to submitting an application.
How do I learn more?
To stay up to date, email the program director to be added to the email update list. Details about information sessions will be shared via email.