Global minded. Career-oriented.
Global Learning Opportunities (a.k.a. GLOs) are weeklong international travel classes for MBA and MSBA students.
You’ll gain a deeper understanding of how companies adapt to local business conditions and experience international business firsthand through economic, political, and cultural immersion.
2023 GLO destinations
Winter 2022 GLO
Dates: Winter 2022 GLO is a hybrid course. Virtual pre-travel classes will be held on Tuesdays and Thursday nights from December 20 to January 3 (no class Dec. 27 - University Holiday). In-country classes will be January 8-13, 2023 (arrival Jan. 7 and departure Jan. 14 will be required).
Application info: Pre-enrollment required
Itinerary: Travel itinerary (pdf) (subject to change).
For more information about the Winter 2023 GLO, see the information sheet (pdf).
The pre-enrollment deadline for the Winter GLO has passed. Please contact email@example.com to check if space is available in the course.
Spring 2023 GLO
Dates: Spring 2023 GLO is a hybrid course. Virtual pre-travel classes will be held on Thursday nights from March 23 to May 4. In-country classes will be held May 7-12, 2023 (arrival May 6 and departure May 13 will be required).
Application Info: Pre-enrollment required
Itinerary: Draft itinerary (subject to change) (pdf)
For more information about the Spring 2023 GLO, see the information sheet (pdf).
Future GLO destinations
Applying for GLO
The online GLO application takes about 10–15 minutes. You’ll need the following to upload as a Word document, jpeg, or PDF:
- A legible and clear scan/photo of your passport information page*
- A headshot for use in a student directory
*If you do not yet have a passport, it is still possible to register, but please apply immediately. (See passport application details for U.S. citizens.)
The applications will be available on this page approximately 6 weeks prior to the priority deadline. Notification by email will be sent when the application opens.
|Date of GLO trip||January||May|
|Priority deadline||September 30||December 4|
|Withdrawal deadline||October 31||January 1|
|Program Fee U-Bill charges for MBA and MSBA students||November||February|
|Tuition charges for MBA and MSBA students||December||January|
The program has limited seats, so apply as soon as possible. If more students apply than we have room for, we’ll prioritize based on when you submitted your application and this hierarchy.
MBA and MSBA students
- Admitted students who have not completed a GLO previously
- Admitted students repeating the experience
After the priority application deadline has passed, any remaining seats will be made available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Enrollment: Your enrollment will be added by program staff after the withdrawal deadline has passed. You will be added to the course the month before tuition is assessed.
Multiple GLOs: If completing more than one GLO, they should be in different regions—Northern Europe may be considered separate from Central and Southern Europe, but please contact GLO staff to confirm. Two GLOs can count as electives and be used towards degree requirements.
Re-admission: If you have not attended University of Iowa classes within the past year, you will need to complete a readmission form. For example, if you last took a course in Fall 2021 and want to take part in the GLO in Summer 2023, you would need to complete the readmission form through the Tippie Application Portal.
- After creating your My Profile section in the portal, you should then select Iowa MBA and Readmission.
- You should include an updated resume, but you won’t need a new transcript, essay, or GMAT score. Once you submit your materials, your file will be processed and you will be contacted when the system will allow you to register for classes.
- In this process you will have the option to select the semester you would like to enroll. There is a readmission fee of $30.
- Hint: Make sure you actually submit the application. Some students have missed that step and only updated a portion of the information and their app remained in pending status for longer than they had hoped. It does take about 24-48 hours for an application to be processed and imported into the university’s system. After you are notified you have been readmitted, you be eligible to participate in the GLO.
There are three costs associated with GLO:
- Program fees
What does the program fee include?
The program fee includes hotel accommodations (double occupancy), professional visits and speakers, classroom space, group airport/hotel transfers in country (available in prescribed time window), transportation between cities included in the program, bilingual group tour manager, orientation upon arrival, transportation to all professional visits, scheduled excursions and cultural activities, some meals (including all breakfasts and welcome/farewell meals), supplemental health insurance, and assistance for international travel.
Iowa MBA and MSBA students
Because GLO is an optional experience for MBA and MSBA students, the tuition you pay does not include extra charges for GLO. The program fee, tuition, and flight costs are the responsibility of the student.
- Program fee: Typically $1700-2100
- Airfare: Approximately $1100-2000 depending on locations
- Tuition: Standard tuition for a 3-s.h. course (see tuition)
* Some companies will reimburse the portion of the program fee that is related to the business content of the GLO experience. This information will be available when enrollment applications are released.